Monday, December 15, 2008

The Giver by Lois Lowry

This is a book written for young people. I recently read it because my son was reading it for school. It is the story of Jonas, a young boy who lives in a dystopia. It is a society in the future where people do not have individual choice. It was very interesting and I could see how it would make for good discussions. Jonas has special abilities that entitle him to do a special job for the community. He receives memories from the Giver, which enable him to know all of history. Members of the community use his wisdom to make big decisoins. Jonas realizes how unfair and bland life is for people in his society. He ultimately decides to risk his life to save Gabe (his adopted brother) and to make it possible for everyone to have memories. This was a great way to see what kids are reading for class. I enjoyed it and so did my 13 year old.

No comments: