Friday, February 17, 2012

The Future Of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

It is hard to remember a time when there was no Facebook, let alone no internet. The Future of Us is set in 1996, when Josh and Emma are juniors in high school and Emma has just gotten her first computer. With help from Josh, Emma is connected to the internet with 100 free hours from AOL. When she logs on she sees her Facebook page 15 years in the future! Not knowing if this is a prank or if it is a virus, she asks Josh for help.
Through status updates and pictures they begin to “see” their future and their friends, whether it be good or bad.

I had great expectations for the second book by Asher. His first, Thirteen Reasons Why, was a page-turner until the end. I thought this was a good book and an interesting plot, but it left me wanting more. As I was reading, I found myself laughing and traveling down memory lane as I was in school at the same time and I could relate to the social references. Although I liked this part of the book, I am not sure some teens will get the references.

No comments: