Friday, June 1, 2012

Killing Lincoln by: Bill O'Reilly

This book logically starts with  the end of the Civil War, and the culmination of Lincoln's assassination by Booth (I didn't realize the two events were so close in proximity to each other.  I really need to get a better grip on my history). Likewise, I knew the general circumstances of the assassination  meaning Fords Theatre, shot by Booth and the manhunt, but the detail was fascinating.  I had no idea the extent of the conspiracy for example, the attack on Seward that coincided with Lincoln's not the extent of Booth's intense hatred of the President.  The details that were presented in this book really made me stop and think of thing how they were then and how we live our lives today.  The fact that if you wanted to have an audience with the President you could just camp out on the White House floor was mind boggling to me.  Also the lack of personal protection for the president is so different today.  I enjoyed the personal side of Lincoln that was portrayed as well in this book. 

No comments: