Thursday, January 29, 2015

Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers



  One of my favorite movies as a child and as an adult is Mary Poppins.  After watching the movie, Saving Mr. Banks, I decided I needed to read the story that inspired two wonderful movies.
   The book starts out similar to the movie with the narrator looking for Cherry Tree Lane.  Inside 17 Cherry Tree Lane Katie Nana is leaving, and Mr. and Mrs. Banks are upset with Jane and Michael for running yet another nanny out the door.  The story continues with Mary coming from the sky with her umbrella and carpet bag.
   The adventures that take place in the book are similar to those in the movie, but are combined or changed.  The movie combines the first four books in the series.  If you watch Saving Mr. Banks, you see how Walt Disney fought with Travers to make changes from the book for the movie - Mr. Disney won!  One noticeable difference (and most difficult difference for me) was Mary Poppins was kinder in the movie. 
    I am glad I read the book but as for me, I like the movie better!

No comments: