Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Writing Class by Jincy Willett

I am not a frequent reader of fiction, and when I do read read it, it usually leans toward science fiction or westerns. Still, there was something that struck me about the premise of The Writing Class by Jincy Willett. My curiosity was rewarded with a very enjoyable book.
The book concerns an adult creative writing class, the teacher, its students and how one of them turns to murdering other class members. What caught my imagination was that the story is told through the teacher's viewpoint, and her descriptions of her students was very humorous. As a teacher of college/adult students for many years now I recognized many of the student-types that Willett brought to life for her story. I think that is what initially caught my attention.
What kept me involved was the flow of the story, and how suspense was built to the closing pages and the unmasking of the unhinged member of the class. Not to give any spoilers, but the culprit is apprehended. Also, Willett does a good job in building her main character, instructor Amy Gallup, and the somewhat flaky members of her writing class.
The Writing Class  is a solid compilation of unique characters and a bit of mystery, and I found it a fun and enthusiastic read.

No comments: