Thursday, December 14, 2017

Haunted by James Patterson

I have never read a James Patterson book in my life. I never thought I would ever read a James Patterson book. Nothing against Mr. Patterson, but it is not a genre that is at the top of my reading list. That being said, there was something about the book description that caught my imagination when I was reading it on our library website; and, now having read the book. I feel my curiosity was rewarded.
In the case of this Patterson book, Haunted, it is the tenth book of the Michael Bennett series. Jumping into an author, and a series, might seem risky, but with Patterson it was very easy to do. He starts his book with enough review of the characters to have you feeling like you know where they came from, but at the same time it doesn't feel repetitious. You can get right into the story. With Haunted you end up in a town in Maine that is dealing with missing kids, dead bodies and the start of a drug war. That is a lot of issues, but again, it is nothing a Patterson-newbie can't handle. You are nicely lead through the story.
I liked the characters - the bad people are bad when they are supposed to be, and the good people are good enough to get the job done. Haunted comes to a pleasing conclusion, but at the same time, there is enough foreshadowing to let you know there will be a book 11 if you are interested. I doubt that I will go back and catch up with 1-9, but there is a chance I will read number 11 somewhere down the road.

No comments: