Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Exhalation by Ted Chiang

This thought provoking collection of short stories will stretch your mind and give you lots to ponder.  Chiang covers topics from fixing past mistakes via time travel, to communicating with others in parallel universes, to virtual reality, all in a comprehensible way.  His earlier collection of stories, "Stories of your Life and Others", was equally as fascinating to me.  ("Stories of your Life" was the basis for the move "Arrival").  

Science fiction isn't my go-to genre, but I was intrigued with the ideas Chiang presents in both collections, and I liked his writing style.  I'd recommend reading the Story Notes in the back of the book after you finish each one. February can be a boring, gray  month, so why not change it up and read something different than your usual genres?

No comments: