Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

I'm ambivalent about this book. On the one hand, I enjoyed the story and even stayed up late to finish it. On the other, I'm bothered by several ideas that Meyer seems to have lifted straight from other writers and the Stargate SG-1 TV series without giving proper credit. I'm also not sure why this title was marketed as an adult book, as it seems more suited to Meyer's established teen audience.

The basic plot is that parasitic aliens have invaded Earth. The centipede-like aliens are inserted into human hosts and take the minds and bodies as their own. One alien, known as Wanderer, has trouble subduing the mind of her human host, Melanie. They work together to find and join a small band of human survivors. I won't give away any more than that.

The characters are mostly one-dimensional; the dialog is pretty lame; the romance is completely predictable; and the plot is not very original. Nevertheless, I read this 600+ page book in one day. I'm just not sure why!

No comments: