Sunday, January 30, 2011

Make It Wild! 101 Things to Make and Do Outdoors

Here we have a book by Fiona Danks and Jo Schofield that explores what you can do with raw materials - snow, leaves, sticks, rocks, sand, etc. Although it was written to be used with children I think many adults would enjoy these activities as well, especially if you are a nature lover who enjoys creation.
Some of the projects are simple and just for play while others are more complicated and long lasting. I was particularly interested in the winter projects since it is winter right now. One of the projects I actually completed is on page 40 (Outdoor Ice Lanterns). Simply made with 2 containers with water between the layers and then frozen. Take the ice out of the containers and put a lighted tea candle in the middle. It makes a pretty centerpiece for a special dinner. I thought I would repeat this idea for dinner on Valentine's Day using a crystal rose tray for the ice candle holders. Red candles will add just the right amount of festivity.
I also thought the paper making looked interesting, as well as the rock and leaf projects - these will have to hold off until warmer weather.

No comments: