Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner

The story revolves around Ruth Saunders. She is a 28 year old writer who has been raised by her grandmother after her parents die in a car accident when Ruth was 3. Ruth suffered with scars from the accident all over her face and body. Her grandmother would encourage her to write it all down when things got tough for Ruth. As an adult Ruth attempts to become a writer with the hopes that someone will pick up her television pilot based on her life. I had heard that Jennifer Weiner’s books were very good so I was hopeful when I decided to read this book but it just never really got off the ground for me. I stuck with it and read the whole thing but I really wanted to quit reading it about a third of the way through. The main character is interesting enough, it was just repetitive sitcom writing banter and just plain boring. I would not recommend this book to anyone.


No comments: