Friday, July 20, 2018

The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce

I found I enjoyed Rachel Joyce's The Music Shop because I felt sympathy for the main character of Frank. Frank is the owner of a record shop that has refused to progress into the age of the compact disc. He will only sell vinyl LPs from his shop. Back in the day, I refused to buy compact discs because I enjoyed vinyl so much more, but was eventually forced to make the switch by the record industry (sorry, my tale, not Frank's).
Frank's shop is in a failing retail area of London and he is fighting to hang on, as are the other shop owners in this section of the city. These shop owners are his friends, but at times they tend to be a bit grating, and a tad nosy; still the story is as much about them as it is him. The Music Shop is a redemption tale, as its participants are trying to come out on top in the end, no matter what course they take to get there.
In addition to his technology issues, Frank is also having mother issues, and is falling in love with Ilse, a frequent visitor to his shop. Ilse is not without her own issues, and they become inter-twined with Frank's and the other members of his group. She too is looking for a final solution for happiness.
I found myself pulling for Frank, and for Ilse, even throughout their missteps and wrong turns. A creative solution finds it way to the top in the closing pages and I think most readers will find they like how Joyce wraps up the story. If you like eccentric characters, be sure to visit The Music Shop. There is also an entertaining playlist that you can find on Spotify and listen along with the story as it unfolds.

No comments: